[argyllcms] Re: More on instrument access

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 19:37:45 -0600

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 10:14 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:

> It's not that Linux is different, it is that it has far too much inconsistency
> at the application API level. Inconsistent in time (too many almost gratuitous
> changes over a couple of years, ie. hotplug -> udev -> security kit), and
> inconsistent
> across distributions (ie. udev files seem to need to be different for each
> distribution).
> I agree that's partially the nature of the beast, but it also reflects the
> priorities and
> organization level of the developers - they don't value application vendors
> so much
> (whether commercial or not), and don't value standardization so much either.
> Often
> it's lacking vital API's, or they are slow to appear (accessing the VideoLUTs
> for each
> screen for instance, being able to disable the screen saver etc.) One of the
> natural
> consequences is that many application vendors stay away.
>
> Graeme Gill.

This is something that I'm not sure I understand.  The sorts of things
we've been talking about in connection with udev are functions of the
kernel, and unless I'm completely off base, all Linux versions use the
same  kernels.

I don't choose to dump on Graeme since he certainly has the right to do
what he thinks best.   I just hope that someone else will try to deal
with these other issues.  I would try it myself except I'm too old and
tired to try to be a developer.   When enough serious photographers are
using Linux, I think all these problems will be solved.  To some extent
this mailing list provides the needed support.  Given that I figured out
what to do with Fedora, any other Fedora user can take advantage of my
experience.  Similarly for other flavors of Linux.  At some point, if I
have the energy,  I will put on my website everything I've managed to
learn about color managment under Linux.

As to Linux changing too often, to some extent that is a valid point.
But of course there is nothing to prevent one from using an earlier
version if one is satisfied with it.