[argyllcms] Re: More direct method of measuring FWA?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:39:25 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:
It just occurred to me. Most papers laced with FWA are coated on one side only.
The
back side of the paper is uncoated and has no brighteners.

Graeme, might it be practical to manually incorporate a reading of the back
side of a
paper for the purposes of FWA measurement? I'm thinking something like an
instruction
at the beginning or end of reading a chart to flip the paper over and read any
clean
spot. Only done with an appropriate command-line switch, of course.

The main weakness in using the FWA compensation is characterising the
illuminant. No
affordable instrument is capable of measuring the Ultra Violet wavelengths.
In V1.2.0 I have created a new tool (illumread) that provides an indirect way of
doing this, by making use of the FWA algorithm. While it's a bit of a fiddle,
and may not give an accurate UV spectrum, it does more accurately model the
effect of the UV on the FWA in a given paper, and therefore improves the
accuracy and usefulness of FWA compensation.