[argyllcms] Monitor profiling questions

  • From: Michael Grigoriev <mag-argyll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 14:44:40 -0500

Hi again,

First let me say that I'm relatively new to the who color management thing,
so please forgive me if my questions are somewhat misguided.

I'm trying to use Argyll with a DTP-94 to create a profile of a Dell FPW2405
LCD connected over DVI to a AMD64 box running Linux. I'm not trying to get
it to match any particular printing profile, just trying to balance the
colors and such.

I go through the process, pretty much as described here:
http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PM1

but I'm having some issues getting sensible results out it. I tried it
several times, and with similar (wrong) results.

There are several weird things. I read that a lot of people seem to have
trouble getting their LCDs to be bright enough for the target of ~140
cd/cm^2 - my problem is the opposite! I can't make my monitor dim enough to
hit 140. After the monitor warms up, even at brightness 0 the luminance
reads ~150. Is that normal?

But the main problem is that the profile created at the end of the process
seems rather wrong. For one thing, the avg error reported at the end of
profile creation is ~80 for the matrix/shaper profile and ~40 for LUT
profile. That seems awfully high....

The profile looks wrong too. The blacks are rather light compared using no
profile. I thought about this for a while, and I suspect it could be caused
by another abnormality I noticed when calibrating the black point of the
monitor. It reads very high on blue - even if I turn down the blue gun all
the way to zero and red and green to 100, it tells me I should be decreasing
the blue. Could it be that the backlight of the LCD has a blue tint, and so
the profile has to bring up red and green to compensate for it, thus losing
dark color saturation? Does that sound possible? Any way to avoid that?
Also, overall, the profile seems to have a bit of an orange skew to me, but
that could actually be correct - it's possible that I'm simply used to
looking at a colder colors.

Lastly, atho I can load the profile fine to X, when I use any color
management aware applications, such as Gimp, or Ufraw, and set the display
profile to the one I created, the output looks clearly wrong. Brightness is
too high, and greens are waay over-saturated.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

--
Have fun,
Michael "mag" Grigoriev         "The words I have, the spells I know,