[argyllcms] Monitor calibration: blue turns purple

  • From: Federico Cozzi <f.cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:26:15 +0100

Hello,
I own a laptop (Acer Aspire 4810TG) and a Huey Pro colorimeter. I
calibrated my monitor with the included utility only to find the
infamous "blue turns purple" problem:
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?MunsellCalcHelp.html
Since in the past I used argyll CMS to calibrate a slide scanner
(Reflecta Digitdia 5000) and got wonderful results compared to
Silverfast AI, I was wondering whether Argyll CMS could help me in
this case as well.

I was intrigued by Uniform Perceptual color spaces e.g.
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?UPLab.html.
In my limited understanding of color management, I thought that if I
could profile my monitor using a uniform perceptual color space as
"profile connection space" instead of the standard CIE lab, the "blue
turns purple" problem could be mitigated.
Does this make any sense?
Is something like that achievable with Argyll CMS?

What else could I try, apart from buying a better monitor?

Thanks,
Federico