[argyllcms] Monitor calibration

  • From: Simon ANTIBES <cadcolor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:51:23 +0000

Sorry , this is the first time I use a mailing list and I don't know if
this is the right posting procedure.

I use XP 32 DispCalGUI
0.3.8.0 +Argyll 1.1.1 +Spyder3 + Dell 2709W Wide Gamut +Nvidia 8800 GTS
512

    I understand that calibrating the monitor is
setting it in a "standard" way so that
    Black and White display
 is OK for non color-managed applications .
    Colors may be
special, especially with Wide Gamut monitors.

    Now the
questions for Photoshop display ONLY :

  - Assuming 8-bit LUTs in
 monitor and graphics card, and not-so-bad monitor,
    is it better
to calibrate AND profile, each missing RGB LUT value resulting in
256x256 missing colors
    or
    is it better to set monitor as
"standard" reset to factory, graphics card LUT linear, and ONLY profile.

 - What procedure can I use to compare the two versions - what value is
representative ?
     Difference with ICC v2 / ICC v4 ?

  - I
 get "Effective LUT entry depth seems to be 12 bits" ; does it mean my
graphics card supports 12-bit input ?
    Any software using this
capability ?

Thanks for replying - and telling me (or pointing to
 tutorial) how to "log in" the argyll list !