[argyllcms] Re: Monitor calibration

  • From: Adrian Mariano <adrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:53:48 -0400

On 3/23/2010 11:45 AM, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Adrian Mariano<adrian@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
So you mean setting the RGB channels to equal values as reported by the
display (e.g. all of them are set to "80") as opposed to setting the RGB
values to achieve a target white point?
Yes... Why would you do that?

Why have the display digitally correct the whitepoint, and then load a
VideoLUT to correct it some more...

It seems logical to me to have the correction in one place... But
maybe I'm mistaken...

If you had a continuous control of R, G, and B, as I believe you may on a CRT, then adjusting these channels on the monitor could improve your calibration because it's not limited by bit depth. I can imagine some kind of display with a 3 color backlight that could also behave this way (though I don't know if such a thing exists).

In any case, I didn't know there were monitors that had for the factory default unequal settings on the RGB channels. I had read that you should assume the factory default is the minimally adjusted configuration, adjust only the brightness as desired, and then proceed from there. When you said that RGB should be adjusted to be equal, I assumed that must mean to change the white point---perhaps to remove some bad color cast---since I assumed that equal values was the starting configuration.