[argyllcms] Re: Mini color checker WAS: Generated camera profile too bright

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:15:48 +0200

Noob question!

By the way, what is the correct way to convert from RAW to TIFF?

I mean, there is a white color temperature and a huye control for the
white point in both PhotoShop CS5 and UFRAW (Gimp plugin).

1: Is it OK to measure the actual light in the room with a spectro
(using the ambient light diffuser), use the CCT value (and zero huye
adjustment) in the software and create a profile which doesn't map the
WP to D50?

2: Is it OK to set the WP to 5000K (or anything random) in the
software (even if it's not correct), create a standard ICC profile and
use absolute colorimetry in the software later (with the same false
software WP setting)?

Which one is preferable?

If I create a non-standard absolute profile then can I use that for
photos taken under different ambient light in case I set the actual
CCT in the software? Or is the differen light (different spectral
characteristics, like fluorescent tubes intead of daylight...) makes
that profile useless anyway? (I guess so.)
I mean... Is that profile still better than „no profile” (whatever the
software assumes when I supply nothing).

Problem: I am not a photographer, I just use my camera randomly. But
if I have a spectro and the camera supports RAW anyway then I wish to
make some use of the possibilities...

I already tried to create some profiles but they were never good enough.
I mean they caused some obvious color errors and the default color
matrix looked more neutral (but far from perfect).