[argyllcms] Re: Making profile of uncalibrated display

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:14:04 +1000

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> But given the outlined limitation of measurement values inside a profile on
> top of a calibrated
> device,
> would it be possible to go the other way around and create a profile with
> VCGT from a complete
> measurement set without any involved LUT/VCGT
> calibration?

Hi,
        I guess so, but I'm not sure what the point is. There are two main
reasons
for doing calibration. One is to make absolute changes to the device behaviour
that profiling doesn't easily allow. The second is to improve the behaviour of
the device in more detail (because it's done as 3 x 1 dimension measurements
and tables rather than 1 x N dimensions). Creating a calibration out of a
samples
spread throughout N-dimensions is likely to have poor precision compared to
directly
making calibration measurements for each device channel.
In the case of a display calibration the advantage of interactive adjustment
(finding in practice the device values that are neutral) is also lost.