[argyllcms] Re: Making profile of uncalibrated display

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:39:55 +0200 (CEST)

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:44:29 +1000
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ivan Tsyba wrote:
I recently made calibration and profiling of my friend ??????monitor but him
didn't satisfied with
gradient banding. I believe this is because low quality of display.

Question: can I make profile of that display in uncalibrated state using some
file (*.cal, *.ti1,
*.ti3 and other) that  produced by dispcalGUI/Argyll??
I have no access to that display any more (by geographical reason).

Hi,
        I'm afraid your question is not entirely clear. You can of course
create another profile using the existing .ti3 file and use different settings,
but
this will be for the display in it's calibrated state since this is the state
it was in when the .ti3 file was created. In theory you could create a version
of the .ti3 file for the equivalent uncalibrated state by replacing the RGB
values by the RGB values looked up in the .cal file. The problem with this
is that the resulting test chart probably wouldn't cover the whole device
gamut (ie. if the calibration set a non-native white point, there would
be no test patch for white), and this would probably lead to a poor profile.

IMO it would be a useful and "nice to have" feature to create VCGT and non VCGT profiles from one measurement set.

But given the outlined limitation of measurement values inside a profile on top of a calibrated device, would it be possible to go the other way around and create a profile with VCGT from a complete measurement set without any involved LUT/VCGT
calibration?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--