[argyllcms] Re: Making colprof write v4 profiles?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 18:59:13 +1000

Richard Hughes wrote:
> Is there any way of getting a V4 profile out of colprof? I really want
> to use the 'mluc' functionality in the profiles so I can add localized
> versions of the descriptions. I did notice some commented out
> references to some v4 code, but I didn't play with that as it looked
> incomplete. Any pointers also welcome.

Hi, No, I don't think so. There are a lot of detailed, intrusive and complex
changes needed for V4, including PCS encoding changes, display profile
white point handling, plus a re-write of icclib (which I started doing
some time ago, but have never completed, and is rather a different architecture,
implying a huge number of other changes to other code).
It's some months work I'd imagine, and there would almost certainly be lots
of breakage (ie. numbers not coming out right for various obscure cases), so
it would be followed by a lot of testing and fixing. Given V4 adds nothing
in terms of color management quality or precision and is detrimental to
compatibility with other tools, it's not a very rewarding proposition.
You might be able to use a hack such as duplicating the normal text tags
with 'mluc' tags, but you're then counting on various other tools ignoring
the duplicates. Technically it may not be ICC compliant.

Graeme.