[argyllcms] Re: Lost shadow detail in PS CS2 with Lab profile

  • From: Vallo Kallaste <kalts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 01:09:16 +0200

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:55:47PM +1100, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Vallo Kallaste wrote:
>
> Yep, if you want actual gamut mapping using ICC device profiles,
> that's what you have to do. It's the basic nature of them that they
> have static gamut mappings cooked into their B2A tables.
> [Not very convenient eh ? That's why WCS went for dynamic linking,
>  although ICC V4 with the PRMG can partially solve the problem too.]

I see that Lab PCS space cLUT profile and shaper+matrix profile created
from the same data set have same relative colorimetric intent. So the
question remains: why the Lab PCS cLUT profile crush shadows and
shaper+matrix profile does not? The calibration result is and looks the
same (very good BTW!) when using non-colormanaged application. Is it
really because PS CS2 has problems with BPC while using the CS2 default
relative colorimetric intent? I don't know who to trust because I have had
my share of mishaps trusting the big names blindly..

thanks,
--
Vallo Kallaste