[argyllcms] Re: Loading CAL file with dispwin

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:49:38 +0900

Graeme Gill wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Graeme Gill wrote:
>>> I've noticed a more serious problem though, and that is that
>>> evey time I load the Video LUTs for one application,
>>> it clears it for all other applications.
>>

>> Interesting. I don't see that effect.
>>
>> Would you mind providing a short step-by-step so I can repeat your tests
>> here and see what happens? I'll try both with Glass enabled and disabled.

[snip]

> t2:    dispwin -V profile.icm
>
> it fails.
>
> and
>
> t2:    dispwin -V linear.cal
>
> verifies.

I cannot reproduce that here. I get consistent results from both command
windows; they never disagree about the state of the LUT, and I don't get
a verify pass on the linear calibration when it's not loaded. I followed
the steps as described above. I've tried both with and without Aero.

I'm using the Argyll 0.70Beta8 from your website. Both cmd.exe windows
were started before any calibration was loaded. Both the linear
calibration and the real profile were made with Argyll. The machine has
an nVidia 8400 mobile video chipset.

> There's no reference to Vista issues on MSDN for the particular
> function calls involved. My code isn't using direct draw,
> just GDI.

> [from earlier]
>
> I also note that after updating my drivers and doing a Windows
> Update today that now the screen flickers whenever the LUTs are
> accessed, and that during that access a box pops up
> saying "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic".

I'm not able to reproduce this either. Especially given the recent
driver update it's probably related to the drivers for your hardware.
[random speculation:] Perhaps Vista is switching Aero off due to an
driver error triggered by LUT access? It is capable of restarting failed
drivers.

Have you had a look in the Event Viewer? Vista's is significantly
improved, and often contains useful information. I was shocked when it
actually helped me track down a suspend/resume issue related to
Bluetooth. It'll report things like restarting failed drivers in the
event log.

Unfortunately I don't have any machines on Vista that have Intel video,
so I can't do much beyond saying "can't reproduce it here with nVidia
video and on my particular machine."

--
Craig Ringer