[argyllcms] Re: Loading CAL file with dispwin

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:37:51 +1100

Roger Breton wrote:
My impression is that Windows does support the VCGT tag inside a monitor
profile at all.

I understood that there was an option download from Microsoft
that did this on XP (a preview of the Vista utility)
called "Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP".
See
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&displaylang=en>

So, any monitor calibration or profiler application under Windows needs to
do this housekeeping task manually. That's probably why GretagMacbeth uses a
Startup Loader, Monaco Profiler uses its own LUT loader, Fuji ColourKit uses
its own LUT Loader, ColorVision uses its own LUT loader and so on.

So, for Argyll, it is dispwin.

Dispwin seems to work under Vista for me.

On my Win2000 box I simply setup a startup item that invokes dispwin
with the appropriate profile. Not as sophisticated as one
of the utilities provided with other tools, but it
achieves the same result. It flashes up a DOS window when
it loads (which I don't mind), but you can probably run
it "Minimized" if you don't want that.