[argyllcms] Re: Linearization

  • From: Roger <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:39:25 -0400

Hi Martin,

Not quite the same. What we discussed was Heidelberg's approach of using a
linear press profile as a Destination for some Reference profile as a
Source, given some target Lab values for CMY and K.

What I'm trying to find is can something similar be done *without* a linear
press ICC profile? Based on just four cyan, magenta and yellow step wedges,
from 0% to 100%. My hypothesis is, if, through 1D curves, it is possible to
colorimetrically match the individual CMYK channels, or within a very close
tolerance, THEN in my view, the Lab values in the Reference print conditions
in the rest of that colorspace ought to match also. Since the two sets of
colors are linearly related. That is my hypothesis.

I wish it was that simple but I'm afraid it is not a sufficient condition.
There are probably issues of ink trapping and so on. But I would be curious
to see extent of the reference gamut could be matched through such an overly
simplistic technique.

Best regards / Roger