[argyllcms] Re: LUT versus XYZ monitor profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:30:51 +1100

Vallo Kallaste wrote:

creating Lab profile for that Dell 3008WFP. Seems logical. I have followed
the recent threads about Windows and XYZ profiles and gather that it's
impossible to use plain XYZ profiles, even under recent Windows7. What a

It seems that Windows 7/Vista handles cLUT XYZ profiles only if they
have matrix tags too (even though it doesn't use the matrix tags!)

pity but nothing you can do about it. From here stems the dilemma: use Lab
or shaper+matrix profile?  Both seem to have their own problems: Lab
profile clips some of the colors the monitor is able to reproduce and
matrix profiles are not very suitable for LCD's because they aren't nearly
as fine additive devices as CRT's are. I don't really _see_ the
differences when comparing Lab and matrix profiles created from the same
data set, but can you please advice what kind of profile should I use in
this situation? I would like to choose the lesser of the enemies..

Sometimes you have to make a choice. If it were me in that situation
I'd try see if any of the LCD adjustments improve the matrix profile fit,
and use a matrix profile (But Argyll V1.1.0 RC3 will create matrix
tags for XYZ cLUT Display profiles, which may solve your problem).

I see why you are tempted to remove the above error message :)

I've replaced it with a more specific test that only emits the warning
in the case of RGB devices that have primaries outside the Lab encoding
range.