[argyllcms] Re: LUT versus XYZ monitor profile

  • From: Vallo Kallaste <kalts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:54:42 +0200

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:54:13AM +1100, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> andrzej duda wrote:
> >I've got this message after profiling my monitor.
> >
> >/Applications/Argyll_V1.1.0_RC2/bin/colprof: Warning - *Values
> >clipped in setting A2B LUT!*
> >*** *Try switching to XYZ PCS* ***
> >Gamut hull mapping errors: = avg 0.908224, max *4.044350*
>
> I'm not sure. I tried putting in those warnings for the situation
> where the display primaries are outside the L*a*b* coding range,
> but the warning seems to be triggered in many other situations,
> so I'm not sure it is worth leaving them on, given all the
> trouble they will create.

Same here, colprof warns me about clipping. I (now) have wide-gamut LCD
monitor besides the old Sony CRT and colprof warning appears while
creating Lab profile for that Dell 3008WFP. Seems logical. I have followed
the recent threads about Windows and XYZ profiles and gather that it's
impossible to use plain XYZ profiles, even under recent Windows7. What a
pity but nothing you can do about it. From here stems the dilemma: use Lab
or shaper+matrix profile?  Both seem to have their own problems: Lab
profile clips some of the colors the monitor is able to reproduce and
matrix profiles are not very suitable for LCD's because they aren't nearly
as fine additive devices as CRT's are. I don't really _see_ the
differences when comparing Lab and matrix profiles created from the same
data set, but can you please advice what kind of profile should I use in
this situation? I would like to choose the lesser of the enemies..
I see why you are tempted to remove the above error message :)

BR,
--
Vallo Kallaste