[argyllcms] Re: LUT versus XYZ monitor profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:24:21 +1100

Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:
I confirm that generally XYZ-LUT profiles are tend to significant banding in
real use.
The banding is preventing the use of -ax key for display or camera profiling.
The
quality of such profiles is unacceptable (ArgyllCMS V1.0.4. I've didn't try -ax
with
latest versions). IMHO, much more smoothing is needed for XYZ data in the
darks, may be
in overall.

I am unable to reproduce your problem with V1.1.0 with -qm, -qh or -qu.
I'm not sure why this would be though.

2. colprof -v -ax -qu vaio
4. cctiff -v -p -ir sRGB.icm -or vaio.icm TST.tif TST-ax.tif

Note that this is not guaranteed to get a smooth gamut mapping
in any case, since it will use clipping. [Note that cctiff -o flag
has changed purpose in V1.1.0 RC3].

The ideal way is:

colprof -v -ax -s sRGB.icm vaio
cctiff -v -p -ir sRGB.icm -ip vaio.icm TST.tif TST-ax.tif