[argyllcms] Re: Kick-start with collink

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:22:42 +0100

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your Perl script.  I was glad to see it wasn't a million miles
from what I was doing (except for the addition of the image gamut).

I've tried it on three images (all in ProPhoto) converted to 3 different
print profiles.  I then compared them to the images converted to the same
print profiles in Photoshop.

Two of the images match the original significantly better than the ones
converted in Photoshop (which is excellent and as I would have expected,
particularly going from a huge working-space like ProPhoto). The Photoshop
versions are significantly lighter with less contrast.

With the third image, which is converted to an Epson Enhanced Matte paper (I
tried both an Argyll-generated profile and a profile generated by my HPZ3100
printer), the Photoshop conversion is better.  Some of the shadow areas are
quite flattened in the cctiff version. The Enhanced Matte Paper is a pretty
awful paper with a very poor DMax and small gamut ... but I would have
thought that cctiff would do a better job than a one-step ProPhoto to print
profile in Photoshop.

I'll try a few more images, but apart from the third image it's very
encouraging!

Thanks again!

Robert