[argyllcms] Re: Is the i1D3 (ColorMunki Display) accurate?

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:08:13 -0400

I don?t know what to make of absolute accuracy anymore?

Last year, I decided to buy a Minolta CS-200 colorimeter ? not a bad
instrument (if only it was supported in argyll?). But I am disappointed? I
recently sent it in to Minolta for re-certification so I can reasonably
trust its measurements to have some value. OK. It?s not an LMT colorimeter
and it?s not a spectroradiometer either. Although it is said to use
spectroradiometric types of light measurements internally.

I?m in a situation where I am comparing a hardcopy proof to the image on a
screen. Regardless of the absolute accuracy of the instruments that are used
to calibrate the screen and the printer, the fact of the matter remains
that, although I am able to bring both the gray patch on the proof and the
screen to yield the SAME EXACT 2 degrees chromaticities on my CS-200, to the
fourth digit precision, thank you, I have to report that, visually, the two
stimulus don?t match to my eyes!

Is it because my eyes don?t correspond all that closely to the Standard
Observer color matching functions?

Is it because there are optical effects I am not aware of?

Would a true spectroradiometer yield better agreements between the two
stimulus?

Is it the light that is throwing a monkey wrench into the equation
(JUST-Normlicht)?

Chances are I?ll never find the definitive answer to this holy grail quest.

That?s why when I see tons of discussions on absolute accuracy, I am tempted
to take them with a grain of salt.

What do you think?

Would it be possible to develop some kind of linear correction model à la
correction matrix for colorimeters?

Best / Roger