[argyllcms] Re: Is it possibile to "improve" a RGB printer profile with more patches from chartread using patches that I already have printed with printtarg?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:25:26 +0000

Hi :)

On 15/11/10 10:17, Vittorio Villani wrote:

So what I am asking should sound like "can I add more patches to an
already existing .ti1 file, can I add them to the .ti2 file and finally
to the .ti3 file?".

No, but you can merge multiple .ti3 files using a spreadsheet or text editor to merge them into one. In other words, create a new .ti1 file with your extra patches, follow the usual procedure to read them, then add the readings from the new .ti3 file to the existing one.

If memory serves, colprof doesn't care about the SAMPLE_ID field, so you can just paste the big block between BEGIN_DATA and END_DATA from one file into the other, and fix up the NUMBER_OF_SETS field to reflect the number of patches in the new, combined .ti3 file.

Note that you'll probably get a slightly higher fitting error if you do this, especially if your printer's not amazingly consistent between prints (i.e. a laser printer, or to a lesser degree an offset press.) - but that's not necessarily a bad thing - the profile will be doing a better job of averaging out page-to-page consistency errors.

I know that I could use targen with the -c parameter to use the profile
that I already made to "partially justify" the targets that I am
serching for "something more".

Yup, and doing that when creating the new set of patches is probably a good idea.

I hope I didn't write too many stupid things!

Not stupid at all - I've done this myself when an inkjet profile has performed well overall but had a specific trouble-spot with, say, dark greys. With care you can edit .ti1 files and add hand-selected patches to cover weak points.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson

Other related posts: