[argyllcms] Re: Information about colorimeters

  • From: Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:35:52 +0000

On 19 February 2010 12:19, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It doesn't help you if you're operating via the Argyll toolset,
> but the real answer is that it is run time discoverable via the
> instrument API. The ideal way of solving this problem would be
> to write a tool that exposes the API (see spectro/inst.h and the
> inst_capability and inst2_capability enumerations), so that
> other code doesn't have to be kept in sync with each instrument
> type.

I guess we could make a tool and just query the capabilities with that
(spawning it) but ideally we need this data even before argyllcms is
installed (GCM installs argyllcms on demand using PackageKit). There's
no point installing argyllcms to create a profile for your projector
if you then find out the device then does not have support. That's a
sure way to get a angry bug-report.

On a related note, how interested would you be in creating a shared
library (just for Linux) we could use in external projects? It doesn't
have to be particularly API or ABI stable, and would allow me to not
run the tools in a vte window and screenscrape the output.

Richard.