[argyllcms] Re: Image dependent gamut mapping scenario question again?

  • From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreauyves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 06:13:36 -0500

Graeme,

Sorry for the long delay. I'd like to be able to "see" on my screen what I would get if I printed the image using the device link profile creation method you propose in the image dependent gamut mapping scenario.

If I can do that I would then for example, use the Luminance Preserving Perceptualrendering intent if for nothing other then curiosity.

What would be the proper way to do something like that so I can see the result without having to print them. I have a wide gamut display and I use papers that have a gamut larger then Adobe RGB in some areas.

One last thing about this, the paper profiles where done using I1Profiler and an I1 Pro II, do you thing I would get better results staying all the way with Argyllcms profiles?

Maybe I should ask this differently, I could one evaluate or at least compare the 2 process, the normal perceptual printing and image dependent gamut mapping printing.

I do mostly flower photography and I almost always have a relatively large part of my image gamut outside of the paper gamut for this reason I keep my image in tiff 16 bit in ProPhoto and I print using the 16 bit driver with a Canon Pro-1000 practically always using the perceptual rendering intent. So I'm very interested to evaluate if there are any tangible benefit in using the gamut mapping method systematically. Would there be an acceptable way without having to print on expensive paper to evaluate this?

Thanks,

Yves

On 2/14/2022 5:11 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

Yves Gauvreau wrote:

Hi,

*I find this method (scenario doc) the way to go for my kind of work, and I’d
like to investigate
the various options I could use without having to print the files. Any
suggestions on how to proceed?*
I'm not sure what options you mean. Could you be more specific, i.e. examples ?

Cheers,
        Graeme Gill.