[argyllcms] Re: I seem to have gotten rendering intent relative colorimetric.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 08:51:47 -0600

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 18:08 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > As the tutorial suggests, I ran
>
> > colprof -v -D"Epson 3880 A" -qm -S /usr/local/Argyll_V1.3.2/ref/sRGB.icm
> > -cmt -dpp Epson_3880_A
> >
> > Iccdump shows
> >
> > Rndrng Intnt = Relative Colorimetric
>
> These two are not connected. The former generates both the saturation and
> perceptual cLUT tables as well as the mandatory colorimetric table.
>
> The latter is simply a flag in the header.
> I'm not sure what if anything uses that flag.
>
> Typically you set the table you want to use in the CMM settings.
>
> Currently there is no way of setting the header flag in colprof.
> I'm happy enough to add a means of setting this flag, if someone
> can point out a reason to do so....

I guess I'm jumping the gun since I haven't actually tried to make a
print using either profile.  But when I use these two profiles to
simulate a print, either with gimp or photoprint, it makes a difference
whether I choose Perceptual or Relative Colormetric, with the latter
being better.   My profile doesn't seem to do as well as the one
provided by Epson for use under Windows.  In fact it does particularly
badly when using Perceptual.

Can anyone remind me how to improve my profile without using lo ts of
paper?

--
Leonard Evens len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University