[argyllcms] Re: I seem to be losing the installed LUT in X or someting along those lines. Help!

  • From: Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:10:19 +0200

On 27 July 2010 15:27, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The situation is unfortunate, and I continue to be amazed at the
> lack of respect that distro's show for the integrity of upstream
> packages.

Put yourself in my shoes. Fedora is very strict about using external
libraries rather than internal ones, and I had to do quite a bit of
work to allow argyll to continue to be shipped in Fedora. I deal with
a lot of upstream projects in my day-to-day work and argyll is much
harder than most to package. Including 4 modified copies of external
libraries is not exactly best practice in software development. Using
a build system that's obsolete and needs patching before running is
kinda unusual. All these things raise the bar for pushing this to
millions of users.

> There's no doubt that the GPL permits such modifications,
> although I am concerned that the conditions under section 5 a) of the GPLV3
> are not being adequately met

    a) The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified
    it, and giving a relevant date.

All the changes are in the public git history with a SHA1 hash and the
date. Even the tarball has a new name to make it super clear.

> and I also wonder whether my moral rights
> (which is something that has legal force in many countries) over the work
> are being adequately respected.

If you're asserting your moral rights to prevent derived works under
the GPLv3 you might also want to contact a lawyer. I would ask you
contact the Red Hat or Fedora legal team if you have any further legal
issues.

Thanks.

Richard.