[argyllcms] Re: I don't understand the -u option

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:22:31 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 01:40 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
Leonard Evens wrote:
I don't seem to have much luck in choosing gamma I want.  Can you
suggest a reasonable strategy for accomplishing  that.   The problem
seems, at least in part, due to the idiosyncrasies of my monitor, a
Samsung 226cw.  I've tried working with the default settings and also
using the monitor controls, and neither approach seems to work very
well.  It seems that if I get one thing right, something else is bound
to be wrong.
Without some specific examples of what doesn't work, it's hard to
make suggestions.

I'm not sure what a specific example would be.

For each approach you tried (default settings, monitor controls), what do
you mean by "it doesn't work very well" ? What were you expecting, and
what did it do ?

But, I am attaching my TargetX.icc as well as (most of) the output when
creating it.  That file includes the settings of my Samsung monitor in
the off chance that you are familiar with it.

I'm not really following what you're trying to achieve. You seem to have
an LCD monitor, yet you are making adjustments that only make sense
on a CRT monitor (ie. the very first adjustment you attempt says
"Adjust CRT brightness to get target level", yet you have
an LCD display). You will certainly run into a lot of trouble
trying to make adjustments for a display type you don't have!

When I run dispcal -r, I am told gamma is about 2.8. But I seem to get
different results by looking at various visual gamma tests, such as the
so-called amazing gamma applet.   After reading the link you provided
below, I see that a lot could depend on the actual curve the argyll
program I used produced with my articular monitor.   I am now rather
unclear on how I should decide what I want and what is accpetable.

That is the problem with such numbers. All these visual "gamma checkers"
don't actually say how they are translating the idealised power curve
into the real world. The numbers Argyll quotes are intended to
match the overall visual impression of the ideal curve, and are
therefore robust.

What I am worried about is whether or not I see the same thing if next
year I get another monitor and after calibrating/profiling it I end up
with a different gamma.  I don't care about the mythical Mac user.  I

You need to distinguish between calibration and profiling. Calibration
will only have a direct affect on the appearance of images on the
display with regard to neutrals and transfer curve when using non-color
aware applications. Because the profile is created over the top of
calibration, the calibration doesn't usually have a direct affect on
the appearance of images when displayed through color aware applications
when it comes to grey balance and transfer curve linearity. When profiles
are being used, calibration only has a direct affect on the white point
and brightness. Calibration can have secondary effects though, since
it can change how well a profile models the behaviour of the display.