[argyllcms] Re: Huey not functioning with argyllV0.70Beta7_win32_exe.zip version, Windows XP.

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:06:53 +1100

C wrote:
I've just been getting started using ArgyllCMS with Huey.
I've successfully used it on LINUX and thought I'd give the
Windows XP beta version a try to calibrate it as well on another system.

I don't seem to be having any success with the binary windows beta version
talking to Huey though.

dispread --help
dispcal --help

...both crash (when the Huey is connected) and offer to send an error report to
Microsoft right as they're printing:
-c listno Set communication port from the following list (default 1)

doubtlessly as they're starting to iterate the USB devices.

The crash does *NOT* occur when the Huey is NOT plugged in to a USB port of the system.

Hal V. Engel has also reported this issue, and it seems to be
specific to MSWindows XP. I don't have an XP system available
to me at the moment (although I am working on it!), so I've
been unable to investigate what the cause is. It is something
to do with opening or accessing the HID driver.
A backtrace would probably give a strong hint as to which
OS call is connected with the crash.
It seems to work fine on MSWindows 2000.

The HUEY's PID/VID shows up as a Human Interface Device managed by
Microsoft's default driver, and I took no steps to change the
driver / inf file associated with the device.

You can work around this issue by installing the Huey .inf file,
and then switching it to use libusb-win32. This disconnects the
HID driver from the Huey. You can pretty simply switch back
though.

After the first attempts failed as above, I was looking to try to change the driver associated with Huey to the libusb ones and the aforementioned huey.inf file. As it turns out, I don't see a huey.inf file in the zipfile distribution of ArgyllCMS Beta 7, so that may be a problem with the distribution packaging.

> Is the huey.inf file available somewhere?

Yes, I accidentally left it out. It is in the source archive though,
and you can extract it from there.

Is there any benefit in installing the Huey's Pantone software package to get a new driver / inf file (I haven't installed it, and didn't intend to, thanks to the better overall capabilities of ArgyllCMS).

No, since the vendors software uses the HID driver, and libusb-win32
isn't generally used by the vendors in any case.

Perhaps a simply program that iterates and lists all the devices on the USB bus via libusbw would be a good addition to ArgyllCMS's distribution to help people who have USB colorimeters determine if the libusb stuff is
working properly with their systems.

libusb-win32 does come with that kind of stuff, but all of
the Argyll utilities that use an instrument list the
instruments found in the usage dialog.