[argyllcms] Re: How to test for the presence of a given calibration?

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:43:49 +0100 (CET)

Am 06.11.07, 06:31 -0500 schrieb Roger Breton:

> Thank's Kai-Uwe,
>
> > To step through code with the Microsoft developer tools needs theire own
> > debugging symbols included in an executeable.
>
> Any compiler does this, right?

The Microsoft and GCC compilers differ in supporting debugging symbols.
Unfortunedly they seem not to be compatible right now.

> > So one could eigher
> > create a project in VC and use this environment for debugging / stepping
> > through the code
>
> That is precisely what I would like to do. But I am trying to find where to
> start. I would like to start building only ONE of all Argyll's utilities
> like, one of the "easiest". Once I understood how that one is put together,
> which header files are required, what are all preprocessor directives do,
> then I can move on to compiling the other more complex utilities. I spent
> the better part of last night reviewing C and C++. Do you know wheter Argyll
> uses any C++ contructs? Or is it strictly ANSI C?

I compiled parts of Argyll as part of porting ICC Examin to Windows. But
neighter component is ready to been given away. So you'd have to wait or
create such a project for Argyll yourself. It took some tries/errors to
solve the inner dependencies.

> > or
> > compile with MinGW + GDB (GNU debugger - command line).
>
> That's an option I will look into. May prove to be a simpler environment. I
> don't want to be bogged down in learning too complex IDE.

As long as it is not a must I very much prefere to use a Gui. But you are
probably more close to it now.

> > On osX, as I'd think you have access to, gcc is much better integrated,
> > because of Xcode providing a debugging GUI for GDB.
>
> If Windows does not work for me then, yes, I'll move to OSX.
>
> > So a external, for
> > instance jam compiled, binary with the debugging symbols included can be
> > stepped through in Xcode.
>
> See, that's another possibility.
>
> > The binary needs just the -g option to the gcc
> > compiler and possibly switched optimisations off by omiting the -Ox (-O3)
> > option.
>
> Sounds so easy :-)

Possibly Greame can tell how to switch to a debug build of Argyll?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management