[argyllcms] Re: How to soft proof a limited gamut TN panel display?

  • From: Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:10:01 -0700

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Keith Winstein <keithw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> What am I missing?

Most likely something I'm missing. ;)

> Could you clarify what you're looking for? I don't quite understand.
> For example, going from 8 bits per component (R'G'B') to 6 bits per
> component won't reduce the total extent of the color gamut, although
> you will certainly have fewer representable colors and wider bands in
> smooth gradients -- 4x wider on average.

Yes, apologies. That is very much what I was referring to.

In simple terms, I'm trying to figure out a way that I can develop
work on a wide gamut or higher quality display and get an idea as to
how much banding will show up on a lower quality commodity 6 bit TN
panel.

While I realize they state 24 bit displays, as everyone here knows,
they are well under that.

So given an ICC profile generated from a meter from a lower quality 6
bit TN panel, I am wondering if I can get a good idea as to how it
will end up looking - given banding and like matters.

Sincerely,
TJS