[argyllcms] Re: How to merge vcgt tag with any profile?

  • From: Richard Radzinsky <richard.radzinsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 01:55:40 -0500

I am new to this so please forgive me

>[argyllcms] How to merge vcgt tag with any profile?
>
>From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:38:57 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hello,
>
>In my experience display profiles for small gamut displays result in a plastic,
>oversaturated look. On my notebook LCD I find it better to use only the
>calibration video LUT curves to achieve the desired white point and a neutral
>tonal response.
>
>Now, Windows 7 supports color management but does not separate the calibration
>from the profile. I would like to load only the calibration for my notebook and
>forget about profile. Sure, I could use dispwin but then I also use two
>monitors (I plug-in a wide gamut LCD for photo editing, it likes both a
>calibration and profile) and several applications automatically pick the
>display profile from the Windows Color Management settings (which is
>convenient).
>
>Presently, changing displays is a tedious process: first I have to refresh the
>appropriate calibration and profile in Windows Color Management and second, I
>then have to change the color management settings for particular applications
>(turn off the profile when using my notebook LCD, turn on the profile when
>using my wide gamut LCD). I can see that it would be easier if my notebook LCD
>profile was simply sRGB (i.e. effectively no profile) with the vcgt tag from
>dispcal (which is all I want). Is it possible to insert the vcgt tag into any
>profile (sRGB profile in my case)? How?
>
>Regards, SLT.

this peice of software (pm5_calibration_tester) allows overwriting LUT
regardless of profile and saving LUT from loaded profiles as txt files
it can load

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1071&Action=support&SoftwareID=546

backup LUT from loaded icc profile using pm5_calibration_tester to txt file
so you can load a srgb profile with argyllcms and then rewrite the LUT
with pm5_calibration_tester

This is most likely easier then what you are currently doing

Richard Radzinsky