[argyllcms] How to merge vcgt tag with any profile?

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

In my experience display profiles for small gamut displays result in a plastic,
oversaturated look. On my notebook LCD I find it better to use only the
calibration video LUT curves to achieve the desired white point and a neutral
tonal response.

Now, Windows 7 supports color management but does not separate the calibration
from the profile. I would like to load only the calibration for my notebook and
forget about profile. Sure, I could use dispwin but then I also use two
monitors (I plug-in a wide gamut LCD for photo editing, it likes both a
calibration and profile) and several applications automatically pick the
display profile from the Windows Color Management settings (which is
convenient).

Presently, changing displays is a tedious process: first I have to refresh the
appropriate calibration and profile in Windows Color Management and second, I
then have to change the color management settings for particular applications
(turn off the profile when using my notebook LCD, turn on the profile when
using my wide gamut LCD). I can see that it would be easier if my notebook LCD
profile was simply sRGB (i.e. effectively no profile) with the vcgt tag from
dispcal (which is all I want). Is it possible to insert the vcgt tag into any
profile (sRGB profile in my case)? How?

Regards, SLT.