[argyllcms] Re: How often?

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: adam k <aak1946@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:46:30 +0200

On Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:15:01 PM, adam wrote:

ak> Should I calibrate my dell u2410 monitor?

That depends on how colour-critical your work is. So my experience may not
correspond to yours.

I'm using calibrated monitors for two things - developing colour-managed tests
for SVG, as part of my work, and digital photography with a midrange DSLR, as a
hobby. So I need good inter-screen repeatability, have some need for screen to
print matching, and don't stand to loose hundreds or thousands of euro if a
print job is slightly off and a client is picky. I would characterize that as
'moderately critical' - not high end 'all my many commercial jobs must be
perfect' and not low end 'I just want it to look nice'.

I have an Asus PA246Q which uses the exact same panel, backlight and
electronics as the Dell u2410[1]. I find that it takes at least 15 minutes to
warm up before it is fully stable. To be on the safe side I do some
non-critical work for 30 mins to an hour and then calibrate.
Failing to do this means you are characterising the monitor in an unstable
state, which is pointless and will give poor repeatability.

At first I calibrated weekly. I also ran verification every couple of days
(measured the MacBeth colour checker colours, noted max and mean deltaE of
observed vs. expected). It seems that brand-new monitors settle in and after
some time they drift less. I now recalibrate every two weeks and do a
verification after a week.

By the way I suggest calibrating in the standard mode (to get the widest gamut
and the best repeatability) not the 'custom' mode. prad.de found that this gave
poor results[2].

[1] "In the course of the testing process, the results were almost identical to
those for the DELL U2410, especially with regard to the image quality, which
suggests that Asus has only labelled the PA246Q"
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q.html
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410.html

[2]"We got a nasty surprise during the calibration and profiling of the Dell
U2410 from the "Custom Colour" mode. This mode is important because the RGB
Gain regulators are available, allowing the white point to be adjusted using
on-board means. In light of the powerful electronics (12-Bit LUT incl. FRC
implementation on the panel) on the Dell U2410, this is very useful for
avoiding stronger losses of hues.

Unfortunately, we could not achieve an even satisfactory result, neither on a
Revision A00 model nor on a Revision A01. The profile validation revealed
considerable deviations, i.e. the current screen status was not captured
correctly in the profile.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410-part8.html

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG