[argyllcms] Re: How far _should_ my monitor be off?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:05:45 +0100

Hi,

Peter Smyth wrote:

dispwin -V tells me of
only 2.7% discrepancy between the profile and my uncalibrated monitor,
in fact.

For comparison, the calibration on my CRT noticeably lightens the midtone-to-shadow region, and dispwin -V reports a difference of 7.5% I daresay that could be improved upon if I tweaked the monitor's controls and recalibrated, so the calibration has less work to do.

The same test on my laptop, which has a really lousy screen, reports a discrepancy of only 12.9%. That's for a calibration which corrects for a significant blue cast.

So if your monitor is generally well behaved, 2.7% isn't too implausible a figure.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson