[argyllcms] Re: How do I force dispcal to always map R0 B0 G0 -> R0 B0 G0 on the calibrated video LUT?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:09:34 +1100

Alexander wrote:
Are there any settings for dispcal I can set to always map R0 B0 G0 >
R0 B0 G0 (or possibly something close to black like R0 G100 B72) and
then create the desired gamma curve based off that?

If you're talking about the VideoLut curves, no.

Reading though the manual it seems like it may have something to do
with the -f or -k parameters but the descriptions confuse me a bit.

-f determines the type of gamma curve model used. -k determines
how much the black is corrected to have the same color as the white
point. Setting -k 0 will usually give a darker black, since it
turns off this correction.

changes my 0.00cdm2 black into a ~0.05-0.10cdm2 black. When I set my
CRT to a very very dark black for night viewing, I want to keep that
very very dark black after calibration.

The device value for black is determined by a heuristic. It's difficult
to estimate given that many devices can have a "dead" zone near
black, which we want to avoid so as to give a progressive response
from black, and not loose the shadows. Maybe this heuristic
could be changed, if it is not always doing the right thing.
(I'm a bit reluctant to add yet another parameter, since this
adds to confusion - see -f and -k above).

Any suggested settings to try?

Yes, try -k 0.