[argyllcms] Re: How do I examine a V$ icc profile and related questions.

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:48:58 +1000

Leonard Evens wrote:
Last August I purchased an Epson 3880 printer at Calumet Photo in
Chciago..  The next day while cycling I suffered a traumatic brain
injury, so it was some time before I got to using the printer.  I

Doesn't sound good. I stay off the roads when I'm riding my bike -
it's too much of an uneven contest, bicycle vs. motor vehicle.
Luckily Melbourne has a lot of bicycle paths, and I'm not trying to
do a commute. Good luck with your recovery.

website and tried to download the right "PC" icc profile.  But I got a
zip file including three profiles and I don't know which to use.  I've
sent them some email to find out.  But in the meantime, I would like to
examine the three profiles.  iccdump can't handle V4  profiles.  Is
there something else I can use?

I think iccexamine uses lcms, so it should be able to let you
look at ICCV4 profiles, but it is a Linux application as far as I know.
<http://www.behrmann.name/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=70>

For MSWin you could try
<http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e33dca0-7721-43ca-9174-7f8d429fbb9e&displaylang=en>

A commercial option is colorthink V2
<http://www2.chromix.com/colorgear/shop/productdetail.cxsa?toolid=486>

Mac's come with a ColorSync tool built in.

Also, if I understand correctly, using Photoshop, if I specify the
paper, I can let the printer software handle everything and get
reasonable results.  But that software won't know about Brilliant paper.
I have a postit stuck to the package saying something about using Epson
Semi gloss profiles,  which reflects something the salesman told me.
But, although I've recovered almost completely from the traumatic brain
injury,  I still remember little of what happened about that time.  Can
anyone conjecture about what that might mean?

The printer driver only has presets when it comes to how much ink it puts on
the page. So when you use 3rd part papers, you need to decide which preset
mode will give you the best result. Typically you would choose a paper that
has the most similar characteristics to the one you are using, but you should
probably try a grey wedge on a number of presets, and check the density of
the black and the wetness of the print.

Once you've picked a preset mode, you can profile it and choose your ICC profile
to manage the color.