[argyllcms] How do I create a linear luminance LUT?

  • From: Geoff Ghose <geoff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 19:08:45 -0500

I apologize if this is a very basic question, but I'm really quite lost. I want
an icc monitor profile that approximates linear input to luminance. (Yes, I
realize that it can only be an approximation, and will suffer especially at low
values).

So an RGB value of 128,128,128 is half the luminance of 255,255,255. (This are
for visual psychophysics experiments).

I have tried setting target gamma to 1.0, but that really doesn't seem to do
much of anything: when I run a report on the uncalibrated and calibrated
monitors I get essentially the same gamma. My impression is that all the
calibration is doing is trying to ensure that the color temperature is pretty
consistent across input levels, but not remapping the input output relationship
so as to significantly change gamma.

What am I doing wrong?

Geoff Ghose