[argyllcms] Re: Host spectral measurements instead of ccmx/ccss?

  • From: "Gerhard Fürnkranz" <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:47:36 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:02:00 +1000
> Von: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [argyllcms] Re: Host spectral measurements instead of ccmx/ccss?

> Hi Florian, I'm not sure what you mean. If you follow this idea to
> a practical conclusion you end up with CCSS files, but they depend
> on each colorimeter having sensor spectral characterisation data.
> i1d3's are like this, but no other colorimeter is, as far as I know.
>
> CCMX files work because they avoid needing to spectrally characterise
> the colorimeter - the colorimeter is used to measure the actual spectral
> output of the display in question. You can make a CCMX from two .ti3
> files,
> but they both effectively contain colorimetric values. The .ti3 from the
> colorimeter _can_ only contain colorimetric values.

Hi Graeme,

I'm wondering whether the sensor sensitivities of "traditional" instruments
could be possibly estimated, given the CRT and LCD matrices stored in the
instruments and spectral samples for the corresponding display types? [Aren't
"generic" CRT and LCD samples included in the i1 Display pro software?] It's
certainly an ill-posed problem which needs to be constrained/regularized, e.g.
by assuming some a priori knowledge like for instance shape of the
sensitivities similar to standard observer CMFs, smoothness, positivity,
unimodality, etc.

Best Regards,
Gerhard