[argyllcms] Re: Host spectral measurements instead of ccmx/ccss?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:02:00 +1000

Florian Höch wrote:
> it just occured to me: Wouldn't it be better to just host spectral .ti3
> files instead of .ccmx files? This would reduce the 'combinatorial
> explosion', as colorimeter users can always make the 2nd measurement to
> create a .ccmx themselves (given a spectral measurement of their display
> is available). What do you think?

Hi Florian, I'm not sure what you mean. If you follow this idea to
a practical conclusion you end up with CCSS files, but they depend
on each colorimeter having sensor spectral characterisation data.
i1d3's are like this, but no other colorimeter is, as far as I know.

CCMX files work because they avoid needing to spectrally characterise
the colorimeter - the colorimeter is used to measure the actual spectral
output of the display in question. You can make a CCMX from two .ti3 files,
but they both effectively contain colorimetric values. The .ti3 from the
colorimeter _can_ only contain colorimetric values.

cheers,