[argyllcms] Re: Hints to profile my DSLR camera

  • From: Iliah Borg <ib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:53:47 -0500

On Jan 4, 2010, at 2:45 PM, Milan Knížek wrote:

Iliah Borg píše v Po 04. 01. 2010 v 10:11 -0500:

2. Set white balance from some good reference grey.

This could be required for profiling camera JPEG image. But raw file?

Without white balance it is hard to evaluate proper exposure. All camera settings for profiling are better be neutral, too: sharpening, 0; saturation, 0; style, faithful/canon, neutral/nikon; color space, Adobe RGB (affects histogram); linear custom curve; hue, 0. Shooting tethererd for profiling is the best tactics I know anyway.

The IT8 target offers few grey-scale patches. Would these be more off
the actual grey then the white-balancing cards used by photographers?

Depends on the card. I use Gretag grey and Watch White
http://www.babelcolor.com/main_level/White_Target.htm

--
Best regards,
IB