[argyllcms] Re: Hardware (?) problems: Matrox G550 Dual DVI

  • From: Volker Sauer <vsauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:00:54 +0200

On So, 20 Jul 2008, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hard to help without a more specific description of what happens.

Well, I'd like to track this down and provide a more specific
description - but: how?

> Did it work with Xinerama turned off ?

No, doesn't work either. It gives me a xrandr error and says it falls
back to some other method but on the 2nd screen nothing happens.

> Ultimately it comes down to the video card driver, and all too
> many of them don't seem to care about calibrating multiple monitors
> on Linux, and therefore don't seem to implement the driver properly.
> It's been exacerbated by the fact that there is no official means
> for accessing the 2nd screen VideoLUTs when Xinerama is running,
> even though it is possible in some cases.

In which cases is it possible? With which card/driver combinations?

> When (or if) they get around to supporting XRandR V1.2 properly,
> this might change, since it has a good means of allowing access
> to the VideoLUT hardware.

They don't support this driver anymore. That's why I actually need new
hardware.
The code of mga_drv is available but not the code of mga_hal which is
needed for features like MergedFB, DRI etc.
But it may be sufficient to look at mga_drv?

Regards
Volker

--
  Volker Sauer  *  Poststrasse 1/601   *   64293 Darmstadt  *   Germany
  E-Mail/Jabber: vsauer(at)volker-sauer.de * http://www.volker-sauer.de