[argyllcms] Hardware (?) problems: Matrox G550 Dual DVI

  • From: Volker Sauer <volker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:19:19 +0200

Hi all,

I started playing with a spyder 2 about three weeks ago.
Calibration and profiling was actually easy since argyll really worked
nice out of the box.
My main problem is - like always before, since I use linux - the
graphics card:

I have a Matrox G550 Dual DVI with 2 NEC 1990FX connected by DVI.
Xorg 7.3 is running in xinerama mode.
problem. Loading it on the second screen doesn't work. Nothing happens
without an error message. I tried millions of combinations of
parameters.

I tried on Debian Etch with some testing and unstable packages and I
even installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron on a separate hard disk to exclude
Debian as the cause. Didn't help.

Then I tried to exchange the G550 (which is actually a rather good card,
since DVI, Xv etc. is working well and 3d is not needed) by an Asus
AH3650, which has an ATI3650 chip (which is unfortunately the only card
on todays market with AGP and my PC is still based on AGP. I'm not going
to buy a new board with PCIe. I'd rather buy a Mac.)
I tried on Debian and Ubuntu, but this !*%§&% card did not run stable. I
used the proprietary catalyst driver as well the radeon and radeonfb
driver. While the opensource driver did not work at all, the proprietary
drivers where just not stable. Xorg crashed when I used Xv or 3d or when
I logged off. Or - without the kernel module - the driver (fglrx) was so
extremely slow, that even in 2d scrolling in programs like firefox was
like watching a 24-needle lineprinter ;-)
But the most shocking thing was, that - while the card was running
stable for some minutes - loading a profile on display 2 wasn't possible
either. Some behaviour as with the Matrox.

What do I do wrong?

Regards
Volker

--
  Volker Sauer  *  Poststrasse 1/601   *   64293 Darmstadt  *   Germany
  E-Mail/Jabber: vsauer(at)volker-sauer.de * http://www.volker-sauer.de