[argyllcms] Re: Gutenprint and ink limits.

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:40:11 +0200 (CEST)

Am 31.07.07, 06:12 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:

> Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:
>
> > My question this time is:
> > Can I just skip the -l (ink limits) option to targen when I plan to
> > use the uncorrected  color mode?
> > Or should I definitely take the step and learn myself ink limits and
> > linearization? It is not very tempting, since I read this sentence
> > about the raw mode in the user manual: "it is very easy to damage the
> > printer".
>
> If you're doing CMYK printing to a real device, then you almost
> certainly have to set an ink limit to avoid ink running off the page.
> A small chart with a range of colors (ie. a small color cube)
> is one way of assessing a suitable ink limit.
>
> Graeme Gill.

You can select different paper types from Gutenprint to find out, which is
most saturated without bleeding colours. With the uncorrected mode you get
a basic calibration for standard papers. If thats bright enough, you are
probably done.
Otherwise you'd have to hand edit the channel sliders or curves, which is
not convenient. A proper tool to handle this step automatically is missing.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management