[argyllcms] Re: Getting back to using argyllcms. Some questions.

  • From: Harald Hugenschmidt <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:42:52 +0100

hi,
i happen to have the display myself. the advanced diaplay settings should be turned OFF, since they depend on enhancing local contrast. a monitor adapting to changing pictures is the opposite of a calibrated monitor. I did calibration om mine and got fine enough results with a simple matrix profile.

harald hugenschmidt

Am 28.11.2008 um 23:28 schrieb Markku Kolkka:

Leonard Evens kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 28.
marraskuuta 2008):
I have a Samsung 226CW LCD monitor.  I am a bit confused about
how it works.   I understand from Real World Color Management
that LCDs (with rare exceptions) can only control the screen
brightness and the other controls, including color controls,
are done using the `video LUT'.  If I understand correctly,
that term refers to a table stored in my video card.  Does the
monitor have its own LUT which is used to `calibrate' the
monitor?

There's one LUT in the monitor that's set by the screen controls
and another in the video card that's set by the calibration data
from the display's ICC profile. Some high-end displays allow
computer but AFAIK that's only possible with proprietary
software in Windows or MacOS.

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@xxxxxx