[argyllcms] Re: Getting back to using argyllcms. Some questions.

  • From: Harald Hugenschmidt <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:37:09 +0100

easy. in the osm the second item is a color palette. it has the subitems "magic color" set it to off, color tone is set to normal color control: leave all at 50 and gamma is set to Mode2. that way i get a whitepoint of 5500, and a gamma of 2.2. if you are aiming at fifferent values other settings og gamma and colotone may be better. use dispread -r to find out.

Harald Hugenschmidt

Am 29.11.2008 um 03:42 schrieb Leonard Evens:

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 23:42 +0100, Harald Hugenschmidt wrote:
hi,
i happen to have the display myself. the advanced diaplay settings
should be turned OFF, since they depend on enhancing local contrast.
a monitor adapting to changing pictures is the opposite of a
calibrated monitor.

Can you tell me just what you did?  What I did was to use Custom, set
Brightness and Contrast, Color Controls for R, G, and B, and I chose one
of the 3 choices for Gamma.  I don't remember the details, but I did
that while trying to follow the argyll instructions for
calibrating/profiling a monitor.  I don't see anyway to just turn off
the `advanced display settings'. I don't remember the details of what I
did, but presumably much of it I need not have done.

I did calibration om mine and got fine enough results with a simple
matrix profile.

harald hugenschmidt

Am 28.11.2008 um 23:28 schrieb Markku Kolkka:

Leonard Evens kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 28.
marraskuuta 2008):
I have a Samsung 226CW LCD monitor.  I am a bit confused about
how it works.   I understand from Real World Color Management
that LCDs (with rare exceptions) can only control the screen
brightness and the other controls, including color controls,
are done using the `video LUT'.  If I understand correctly,
that term refers to a table stored in my video card.  Does the
monitor have its own LUT which is used to `calibrate' the
monitor?

There's one LUT in the monitor that's set by the screen controls
and another in the video card that's set by the calibration data
from the display's ICC profile. Some high-end displays allow
computer but AFAIK that's only possible with proprietary
software in Windows or MacOS.

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@xxxxxx