[argyllcms] Getting back to using argyllcms. Some questions.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:23:05 -0600

I used argyllcms with a an Eye-One Display LT, and then later for my
printer with an Eye_ONe Pro.  I also set up gimp and scanner.   I was
working under Fedora 7.

I got distracted by other matters, and I now want to get back to some
serious digital photography.  But it seems I've forgotten much of what I
knew and I need to review almost from scratch.  I hope it will all come
back to me pretty quickly.  But I hope you all will bear with me and
help me get back to where I was.

First question.

I have a Samsung 226CW LCD monitor.  I am a bit confused about how it
works.   I understand from Real World Color Management that LCDs (with
rare exceptions) can only control the screen brightness and the other
controls, including color controls, are done using the `video LUT'.  If
I understand correctly, that term refers to a table stored in my video
card.  Does the monitor have its own LUT which is used to `calibrate'
the monitor?

Any suggestions about where to look to find out about such things?