[argyllcms] Re: Generated camera profile too bright

  • From: "Andreas F.X. Siegert" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:07:46 +0200

on 03.04.2012 09:56 Ridouan Agarad said the following:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Andreas F.X. Siegert <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     Well, my current understanding is that I need to generate a TIFF from the
>     raw file with that app without the app applying any corrections or
> profile.
>     That results in a very dark image as no gamma or other other modifications
>     are applied (this is the TIFF I put on the web site).
>

>  Could you perhaps describe the steps you've taken to generate the TIFF and
> which RAW processor you've been using?
Expose NEF properly (ok, I think that was half a stop off, see referenced
directory in previous post).
Load in AfterShot (which used to be Bibble), straighten and crop to the
colorchecker, switch to linear in CM tool so that no application profile is
applied, save 16bit TIFF (any profile specified at save is not applied when
the image is in linear mode).
As Linear means no profile and no gamma applied, a dark image is the
expected result here.

> I just tried to do the same (generating a "scene-referred" image) with Adobe
> Camera Raw and the raw NEF image turned out reasonably OK (the white patch
> had RGB values of 190,190,190). Your TIFF file definitely looks off, way too
> dark.
The interesting question then is, does the ACR generated file have gamma
applied?

cheers
afx

--