[argyllcms] Re: Gamut mapping problems in 1.1.0

  • From: qcore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:17:05 +0000

Quoting Martin Weberg <martin.weberg@xxxxxxxxx>:

There is a loss of saturation immediately noticeable throughout the
resulting images.

Me too, I noticed it last night but thought I should do some more
tests before reporting it (Argyll_V1.1.0_RC1 Vista).

The tests I've made cover a range of different images from both AdobeRGB1998 and DonRGB4 mostly going to ISO Coated v2. I made more than 20 device link profiles, mostly perceptual but also relative and saturation intents.

In all cases -- no matter if the source image was easily within the ISO Coated v2 gamut -- the results when -g or -G was invoked lacked saturation to such an extent that they were unusable.

The gamut mapping appeared to me to be working in that the separations themselves were as I expect (and love) from using Argyll -- smooth, detailed, minimised clipping etc -- but mapping to an oddly restricted version of the ISO Coated v2 gamut.

Martin Orpen
Idea Digital Imaging ltd

Other related posts: