[argyllcms] Re: Fwd: Simple how-to on camera profiling

  • From: Karljohan Lundin Palmerius <karljohan.palmerius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:33:06 +0100

>> If scanin can't autodetect the target, the quality of the target shot
>> is highly questionable, and so will the profiling results be.
>
> In case it isn't immediately obvious why this should be so, a curved target
> will always be unevenly illuminated, which will cause luminance errors. If
> there are multiple light sources in the scene, different parts of the target
> will be illuminated in different proportions from each, leading also to
> chroma errors.

Thanks for the clarification - I did wonder a bit since my immediate
thought was that if real object being photographed have every possible
orientation and curvature in space, then why can't the target surface?
But now I understand what Pascal probably meant.

I still think that having a target which is slightly buckled and in
perspective, i.e. not detectable by scanin, should give a reasonable
result. Must the target face the detector for the profiling results to
be accurate? Is it not more important how the light hits the target?

/ KJ