[argyllcms] Re: Fwd: Simple how-to on camera profiling

  • From: Karljohan Lundin Palmerius <karljohan.palmerius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:53:51 +0100

>> The camera default output is just crap, but that's probably because I
>> had no way to perform white balancing - it is set to automatic WB. The
>> "standard" profile is off in many places and that was the original
>> reason for me to put together the how-to. Hard for you to know how the
>> colours are supposed to look, but the two top cups are supposed to be
>> red and orange. I think that your profile and my custom one are so
>> close that it requires a calibrated output device to see which is most
>> true and I don't have that at the moment. They are not the same,
>> though.
>
> I have a entry level wide gamut display calibrated with a ColorMunki.
>
> Well, my profile does make the reds a bit orangy... But how did you
> light the scene?

That conclusion agrees with my impression from the non-calibrated
monitor. The lighting is deliberately strange, since I wanted to
"stress-test" the profiling, but still I tried not to use narrow
banded light sources, like fluorescent lamps. There is one
incandescent lamp and one flash bouncing off a red coloured wall paper
and diffuse white ceiling.

> My profiles is intended as a "generic" profile (as far as that's
> possible of course), it should be most accurate for sunlight/strobe.

I understood that. I'm impressed with how well it worked. I'm not sure
exactly how white balancing works in combination with profiles, but if
I would guess I would from your description draw the conclusion that
the colour change what white balancing is adding assumes that the
profile is based on sunlight.

/ KJ