[argyllcms] Re: Fwd: Simple how-to on camera profiling

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:39:10 +0100

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Karljohan Lundin Palmerius
<karljohan.palmerius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a "user" of colour profiling but not very knowledgeable, but I
> finally think that I've managed to put bits and pieces together to
> define a work flow for creating a settings specific colour profile for
> a camera. I've written a how-to on this to help others in my
> situation. I welcome anyone to comment on the procedure and chosen
> parameters. It should be noted that I use QPCard201 which has a
> relatively small set of colour patches and so can't be expected to
> suffice for a detailed colour profile.
>
> http://staffwww.itn.liu.se/~karlu/div/howto/cameraProfile.php

For which RAW converter are you profiling?

> To facilitate the process of extracting the target's colour patches,
> I've implemented a GUI for marking the "fiducial square" to get the
> coordinates to put into scanin. I could not find anything like it so I
> just had to implement my own. It's a bit of a hack, but features
> rendering of the target geometry which is very useful, especially if
> the target is not entirely flat so that the geometry has to be
> tweaked.

Doesn't scanin autodetect this? It should...

> Anyway, I have not made extensive tests since I'm an amateur
> photographer, but the tests I've made so far yields much better result
> than the profiles accompanying the camera (Canon EOS 350D).

I did one for the 350D as well... You can use basecurve to give the
image some oompf...

Sample base curve:
http://files.pcode.nl/ufraw/CanonEOS.curve

With low patch count targets I'd stick with matrix only profiles...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn