[argyllcms] Re: FreeBSD, USB: use system library

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:50:48 +1100

Boris Samorodov wrote:

Hi,

> don't know how to make <libusb>libusb.a      [*]

Which version ArgyllCMS source code are you using ?
I think that the above means that there are no Jamrules to build libusb,
possibly because the libusb directory is missing.

Note that V1.5 (beta) no longer uses libusb, and therefore the source
code for it is omitted. You either need to copy the libusb directory
from the V1.4 source code (simplest), or write a usbio_bsd.c module patterned
after usbio_lx.c to match the new arrangement (more difficult).

> So AFAIK the system libraries from FreeBSD may (should?) be used
> to compile ArgillCMS code.

This is the standard rhetoric from distro maintainers. It ignores
the reality that these are hardware drivers, and are therefore
sensitive to the particular hardware involved.

If you are prepared to test all the supported instruments with the
OS library, then feel free to use it, but it's likely to have
bugs with certain instruments. The version of libusb included in
the Argyll source has been patched and tested against all the instruments,
and is known to work. V1.5 avoids this issue by including its own native
USB user level drivers.

Hope this helps,